Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Want Help with Writing or Editing?

Creating Resumes; Updating Resumes

I decided to start this blog to help people with writing problems.

I've been helping people create and rework their resumes for three years and I can help you do the same. In today's job market, it's even more important to have the right kind of resume. Most people don't know, for instance, that if their resume is received by a human resources department in a small company, the person who reads it will spend less than 60 seconds looking at the cover letter and resume. If this person doesn't see certain key words or ideas expressed, the resume is doomed.

Larger companies will use a scanner that does the same things, only the scanner will spend 10 seconds on the resume. Therefore, clear presentation, succinct phrases, and a clean set-up are absolutely necessary.

Proofreading


Many people are self-publishing their writing through online book publishers. These organizations simply don't have the financing to be able to have competent copy editors or proofreaders work on manuscripts. Sometimes a book is published with many or all of the author's original errors intact, which means the work, no matter how nicely packaged, appears amateurish.

I have helped such authors by proofreading their projects for them after the online publisher has set the work into print. I could also edit the manuscript before it is set, which would save the author even more money in the long run. The choice would be up to the author.

I charge a flat fee for anything I do of $22 per hour. If you have checked online resume services, you know that the least they charge is about $45. Many resume preparation services cost much more than that. Also, when I work for publishers in New York, my rate is between $22 and $26 per hour, so I am working within industry standards.

I hope I can help you. Check my blog for comments about writing and contact me if you need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment